Job Title: R&D Packaging Engineer
Salary: £60 -70k basic + bonus
We are working with a leading company in its sector which has a presence across the entire globe. A change in ownership has sparked a total rebrand, which is where you come in to place. You will be responsible for setting the end-to-end packaging development from innovation through to maintenance of on market products.
We are looking for a consumer focused packaging expert able to cope with ambiguity and find a clear path through complex situation, turning a negative into a positive, and difficult situations into easy solutions. Candidates must be action orientated with a clear eye on a successful outcome and the steps needed to get there. These characteristics will give you the capacity to be responsible for the following:
- Design structural packaging through the use of appropriate structure analyses, test methods, design methodologies, feasibility justification, and business case processes.
- Manage structural packaging development and improvement projects to meet company goals, and coordinate with Project Managers and Organisation Leads to ensure project milestones are met within expectations of timeline, quality/performance requirements, and budget.
- Consult and manage innovation development partners and external manufacturing organisations, in the development of packaging for components and materials.
- Develop and execute test methods, validations, and protocols for packaging projects.
- Define/refine the packaging development process, workflow and structures.
- Establish supplier quality standards and support supplier Quality Department audits as needed.
- Create packaging related SOP’s and Work Instructions. Provide training for appropriate Production/ Manufacturing personnel performing packaging related activities.
- Create/maintain accurate documentation to meet company, testing, and regulatory expectations.
- Review and approve product change controls and packaging process changes, including technical labels specifications and packaging related content.
- Support packaging related Value Engineering and Sustaining projects.
- Provide Marketing/Art Departments with die-lines for artwork development, and manage coordination of colour-match proof-print sign-off.
- Establish quality control printing and colour-match parameters.
- Support the company Project Managers with container and pallet pack-out data.
- Remain current on packaging innovations throughout the industry and proliferates leading technologies within the company.
- Drive a culture of innovation by maintaining awareness of competitor activities, new technologies and apply consumer insights to bring to market the best-in-class products.
- Understand the development requirements and challenges of working within multiple regulatory frameworks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Packaging Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience in industrial or consumer packaging.
- Knowledge and understanding of packaging design validation standards including: ISTA, ISO, ASTM, etc.
- Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement concepts is needed.
- Proficiency in CAD packaging software required (TOPS, CAPE, ArtiosCAD, Solidworks).
- Familiarity with packaging requirements under different regulatory frameworks, including the creation and maintenance of technical files / dossiers.
We are looking for someone who is personable, approachable, and willing to find common ground with anyone through valuing everyone’s voices, skills and experience to create winning outcomes. You must have first rate communication skills where you can build consensus across a broad group of stakeholders and tell a compelling story to showcase your point of view.