Job Title: Senior Process Scientist
Salary: Salary Negotiable, Commensurate with experience
Location: Southern England
Reports to the Technical Services Manager.
· To identify, design and implement improvements to existing processes which will enhance operational productivity, product quality, production efficiency and legal compliance.
· Divide time in carrying out project orientated work as well as internal requirements of the Technical Services Department.
· Support the Technical Services Manager in technical projects and the management of resources.
· Use extensive Problem-Solving knowledge & tools to resolve problems including customer complaints.
· Ensure compliance with COSHH regulations by advising on and writing of specialist COSHH risk assessments.
· Coordinate and conduct routine analysis of effluent waste samples to meet ISO 14001 and TSD product quality to meet ISO 9001 as and when required.
· Coordinate and conduct regular and non-routine work requests to provide technical support to all Departments including QC on finished products, QA on incoming materials, Engineering and Operations support.
· Act as a deputy to the Technical Services Manager in times of absence by leading the section in meeting the business demands, prioritising and allocating work requests to the Scientists.
· Help plan and execute technical projects to time and within budget.
· Provide effective technical services in relation to product and process related issues to enable Production to achieve best quality.
· Measure and improve process capability and work towards BAT wherever possible.
· Support the Technical Services Manager to ensure staff are trained, motivated and providing a high quality and effective service.
· Improve and optimise Mill processes for both product and process related projects.
· Carry out technical visits to customers and suppliers.
· Work across the supplier / customer supply chains to optimise/ develop resolutions to product and process improvement.
· Ensure effective time management so that a balance between projects and internal Technical Services Department requirements is maintained.
· Lead cross functional teams in technical projects.
· Liaise closely with external stakeholders to manage new products and processes.
· Collaborate with colleagues outside of sphere of own remit and share best practice.
· Ensure compliance with COSHH regulations specifically by carrying out specialist Risk Assessments on laboratory and Operations activities.
· Monitor, calibrate and maintain scientific equipment and arrange for dditional maintenance and adjustment when required by on-site maintenance or external suppliers, ensuring all standards are in-line with the required quality management systems.
· Conduct atmospheric monitoring on site to a set schedule to support the site COSHH requirements.
· Resolve routine and non-routine problems and queries including customer complaints using approved problem solving techniques as and when required.
· Carry out scientific procedures to a high standard, including, but not limited to, the analysis of effluent waters, finished products and incoming (raw) materials as and when required.
· Conduct routine analysis of effluent waste samples, as required by the Environment Agency, and TSD product quality as and when required.
· Diligently record results and notify the appropriate personnel of results which fall outside defined limits, e.g. specifications, CoA.
· Carry out administrative tasks including, but not limited to, ordering of chemicals and consumables.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
· A good understanding of complex papermaking / manufacturing processes.
· Education to Degree level preferred, ideally as a Chemist or other scientific disciplines with strong chemistry acumen.
· Good degree of computer literacy, specifically in relation to standard Microsoft Packages.
· Laboratory experience is essential.
· Experience of working within a manufacturing environment essential.
· Experience of commercial project management and problem solving would be desirable.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (including technical report writing skills).
· Ability to work within a team environment.
· Willingness to travel within the UK and abroad.
· High degree of flexibility will be advantageous to support projects, trials and problem solving.
Pension, Private Medical Insurance.
If you have registered with us and wish to use your existing details to apply for this vacancy please login here. If you would like to register with us please click here