Job Title: Retail Packaging Buyer
Salary: Dependent on Experience
We are working with a leading high street retailer as their packaging department, which has an estimated annual spend of over £150m, undergoes significant expansion. This renowned brand is looking for a Packaging Buyer with the knowledge to provide support across all elements of the packaging life cycle.
Responsibilities of the Packaging Buyer
- Support development and execution of sourcing strategies across all elements of packaging including hangers, cartons and primary packaging.
- Identify opportunities to improve the cost of packaging through efficiency, design or economies of scale, work with departmental colleagues and the business to align on and execute opportunities.
- Identify and execute quick wins to reduce packaging spend to allow re-investment in higher quality materials where needed.
- Support development and execution of the hanger strategy.
- Seek out packaging innovation through NGO, supplier partnerships, primary market research. Explore ways to move to circularity in our packaging using more sustainable materials.
- Run RFP’s and lead commercial negotiations for packaging related sourcing.
- Represent Procurement and packaging spend on appropriate forums.
- Use ScanMarket as e-Sourcing platform to ensure effective eRFX and contract management.
- Develop effective channel and buying strategies when sourcing packaging to simplify the operational burden when placing orders.
- Support buyers in should cost analysis to understand packaging costs and use cross-costing to identify cost opportunities.
- Explore opportunities to improve consistency of packaging across the business to simplify management, improve efficiency and cost.
- Identify preferred and nominated suppliers to be used by our product suppliers, ensuring effective contracts and commercial schedules are agreed and transparent.
- Act as the commercial expert for all packaging related spend working closely with finance to understand opportunities to improve cost that are reported in the product margin.
- Working with legal to negotiate appropriate contracts with packaging suppliers that are clear and transparent.
- Consider Total Cost of Ownership when assessing cost of packaging, including unit cost, delivery cost, payment terms, taxes (current and future) and environmental capital.
- Work with legal to advise and develop strategies that maximise flexibility when it comes to packaging design and IP implications.
- Support cost modelling to understand impact of meeting enterprise wide packaging targets.
- Actively explore market opportunities through NGO, supplier partnerships, primary market research and push ways for using packaging as a differentiator from competition.
- Identify ways to ensure appropriate amount of packaging related tax is paid.
- Work closely with Packaging Manager on forecasting, ordering and supplier management where nomination of packaging supplier is the chosen route.
- Provide commercial escalation support for order management when needed.
- Multi-year experience working in a similar packaging buyer role in a large multinational business in retail industry
- Experience managing packaging spend in excess of £100m
- Expertise in developing and building effective sourcing strategies in a highly matrix environment
- Proven track record of developing strategic partnerships with key suppliers
- Ability to lead teams in a matrix environment and drive change through effective influencing
- Excellent knowledge of packaging suppliers and their capabilities globally, with strong a network of key personnel in this space
- Experience of the buying process in the fashion industry either directly or indirectly
- Proven experience of managing packaging suppliers from contract management, forecasting, innovation and QBR’s
- Experience of working with packaging suppliers internationally and supporting nomination/forecasting, especially in hangers and product packaging
- Demonstrated ability to forge close business relationships with internal and external stakeholders at senior management levels
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent strategic thinking and planning skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and work in a fast pace, matrix environment
- Able to prioritise effectively and manage business expectations
- Strong business and commercial acumen
- Tenacious and determined
- Collaborative and proactive in style
- High attention to detail
- Self-motivated, focused and results orientated
- Driven with proven track record of success
- Ability to influence senior internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel as required (>20%)