Job Title: Packaging Development Technologist
Salary: £28-32k basic + benefits
Location: West Yorkshire
A multinational food manufacturer, which is home to some of the most loved brands in Britain, has a key opening within its in-house packaging division. As a key member of the factory Technical team, the Packaging Technologist will ensure effective day-to-day management of packaging used on site; providing technical support to site-based projects, including managing transit testing, trailing new packaging materials and supporting process investigations.
You will seek opportunities, within packaging or process, for increasing plant efficiencies, reducing waste levels and costs. The role will demand you to work to tight timescales in a constantly evolving and developing environment and been able to work on own initiatives.
What will be your key results?
- Co-ordinate and support a range of packaging implementation projects across the factory product portfolio.
- Implement changes to material specifications to achieve sustained improvements in packaging consistency and functional performance of materials meeting category standards for Quality, Functionality, Cost-Effectiveness, Consumer Acceptance, Stability, Regulatory Compliance, and operational feasibility.
- Supports the execution of projects on a day-to-day basis within the Technical team: Establish packaging materials & dimensions, in coordination with the site technical team, suppliers and the Origination team.
- Produce packaging prototypes / mockups according to packaging brief to illustrate technical possibilities.
- Develop new outer cases/SRPs and pallet pattern configurations.
- Approve artworks correctly within a timely manner, communicating issues through direct manager.
- Support packaging trials going through the site, leading the creation and delivery of relevant packaging documentation e.g. cutter guides, pallet patterns, component drawings, pack. material specifications, technical standards, travel tests and results, line trial protocols and reports.
- Represent the site’s technical team at supplier reviews when required. Drive for improvements and inputs vital Vendor Non-Conformances and works with supplier towards closure of issues.
- Support process capability assessments of new and existing equipment.
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvements.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety, Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH), Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) and product specifications at all times during trials.
What do you need for this role?
- Qualified by: Degree level or equivalent in a technical field.
- Systems and software knowledge to include Microsoft packages is essential
- Previous packaging experience, preferably with experience in a role within a FMCG environment.
- Basic appreciation of packaging materials as flexibles and corrugated packaging.
- Experience with line trials and transit testing.
- Efficient time leadership skills.
- Good communicator.
- Able to show attention to detail.
- Understanding the importance of packaging for the efficient running of packing lines.
- Sound Working knowledge on, Cape, AutoCAD and Adobe CS.
- Solid understanding in BOPP packaging, folding cartons, tins and thermoformed packaging.
- Some experience in dealing with packing equipment and new packaging materials validation.
- Direct liaison with Packaging suppliers.
- Good understanding/appreciation of the broader business
- Excellent interpersonal ability
- Proven track record in maintaining good working relationships.
- Good presentation skills (written & verbal) & strong analytical skills.