Job Title: Senior Structural Carton Packaging Designer
Salary: £25k to £35k pa
Location: South East England
An opening has arisen in a multi-skilled design department which consists of graphic designers, marketers and digital developers. Their job is to help expand the creative offering of our client which delivers food packaging solutions to over 60 countries world-wide.
The Senior Carton Construction Designer will work closely with this design team to not only meet, but exceed expectations for innovative food packaging creativity. The development of relationships with internal and external sales teams, clients, and in-house team of creative and technical experts will enable the delivery of not only a personalised, efficient service, but also the creation of a solution which directly meets customers’ needs.
You will work with some high profile brands covering both current and future packaging design. This includes the form, materials, design for retail, and continuing into the execution phase of design intent. From ideation through final production, the designer will be responsible for producing high quality, creative and detailed solutions for our customers.
Performance in key tasks carried out in this senior designer role will be measured by the achievement of work in a rapid, reliable and effective way.
Tasks will include:
- Develop and define packaging from briefs originating from both clients and colleagues alike.
- Generate concepts using Artios CAD.
- Make revisions, additions and improvements to archived designs.
- Work in collaboration with the Purchasing, Cut and Crease, Finishing and Die Managers to ensure the compatibility of new designs with existing manufacturing facilities.
- Continuously develop an understanding, and ability to learn, of the complexities and challenges associated with a busy packaging manufacturing plant.
- Produce layouts for estimating and die making.
- Create technical dimensional drawings.
- Make samples and prototypes from a wide range of boards, using our Kongsberg Folding Carton Samples making table, maintaining attention to detail throughout the repetitions of this task.
- Work with the Purchasing team to identify new materials and components.
- Communicate with the Machinery Manager to ensure the Company’s continued evolution of machinery to complement the broad range of heat-seal and Modified Atmosphere Packaging.
We are looking for a senior carton construction designer who ticks all the following boxes:
- Proven recent and relevant experience in cartonboard construction design which demonstrates high levels of creativity to exceed expectations in delivering innovative and creative packaging solutions.
- Experience within the food packaging environment would be advantageous but not necessary.
- Strong ability to use Artios CAD and deliver 3D images.
- A self-starter with a positive ‘can do’ spirit able to demonstrate excellent communication, technical, innovation and creative skills in order to advise on and design an ever-evolving range of paperboard and combination packaging, primarily for the retail and food service sectors.
- Demonstrate a strong and genuine interest, as well as a creative flair, for packaging and its associated markets to contribute taking pride in a strong NPD programme as part of a creative team.
- Work with the Marketing team to develop innovative and unique products that reflect emerging food and eating trends from around the world.
- Confident and accurate computer and data-entry skills – minimum of intermediate level Excel.
- Excellent communications skills – verbally, interpersonally and in writing across a range of mediums such as email, etc.
- Calm, organised, helpful and flexible with a willingness to learn and help others as a team player.
- Be able to work to deadlines and work under pressure, multi-tasking to adjust priorities in a constantly changing environment using highly organised administration to support.